House of Musical Traditions
7010 Westmoreland Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
HOURS: 11 am - 7 pm
Tuesday through Saturday
11 am - 5 pm Sunday & Monday
Bells and Chimes
Belly Dance, Raks Sharki
Kalimbas and Thumb Pianos
Xylophones and Balafons
Cajun percussion: Zydeco Tie Rubboard
Tibetan instruments of meditation: bells, singing bowls, tingshaws
Small hand percussion:
bones, claves, crickets, frogs, spoons, shekeres, rattles, cuicas
Percussion Instruments for Kids
Selection and availability vary -- please contact us for current availability.
- Brazilian musical bow, a single metal string struck with
a wooden stick.
Different tones are produced by touching a metal noter (usually
a washer) on the string and moving the gourd resonator up or
down, or changing the tension on the bow. A rhythm accompaniment
is produced by holding a caixixi (rattle) in the stick hand.
- There are various African types of berimbau. We carry the Brazillian type, on which the resonator is placed such that when the string is "cut off" it will produce a harmonic of the string's fundamental pitch -- like the harmonics on a guitar.
Wind Gongs -- A flat gong with a strong "crash" sound.
Bronze finish with "Wuhan" logo.
Bao Gongs -- These are also called "nipple gongs," so named because they have a rounded bell shape at the center of the gong. Bao gongs are great for producing rich, bell-like sounds. They produce a strong, sustaining fundamental tone with subtle overtones.
Bells and chimes
Indian Ankle bells (Ghungroo)
Called ghungroo (ghungru, ghungaroo) in India, ankle bells are worn to accent dancers' movements in both the northern and southern Indian classical dance traditions. Ankle bells are found in many other traditional music and dance forms around the world, as well. Attach them to your djembe or other drum; accent your bellydance performance; or hang them on your door to greet visitors! Manufactured in Uttar Pradesh (north India).
Looking for a belly dance teacher in the DC/MD/VA area? Check out www.wameda.org for teachers, troupes, and event listings.
Belly Dance, Raks Sharki (Oriental Dance)
Made in Egypt; colors and styles vary. Please contact us for current selection.
We usually carry 3 general types of scarves, in addition to coin belts:
- Basic nylon with gold or silver coins -- $15.00
- Triangle-shaped with more coins & embroidery -- $20.00
- Velvet -- $30.00
- Coin belts -- $12.00
Instruments of Meditation
Bell and Dorje
Balafons and Xylophones
- Our selection of balafons varies, and can include 8, 10, 12, 15 or 18-key models. Prices range from $100 to $350. Please contact us for the most current selection.
A Xylophone For Kids! The Woodstock Chimalong
- A large variety of cabasas, shakers, and cowbells are available.
Also, we never know what kind of interesting new drums or shakers will walk
in the door, so give us a call. Chances are, if you need it, we
can get it! Call, write, or email for
prices and availability.